[Donovac] IssacFrost's Guide to <Bringer of Salvation>

Discussion in 'Guardian Guides' started by IssacFrost, Dec 17, 2014.

1. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

HOC Guardian
    Bringer of Salvation Donovac

I like to play Donovac as a Tank-Fighter hybrid and make use of his great versatility going into tank, bruiser or even carry mode during the match. This build focuses on Donovac's versatility. I utilize the following Tablets: Rage, Courage and Immortality. I utilize the following Inscriptions: Order take +HP and Chaos take +Mana Regeneration or +Harvest Health. You will rarely need the +Harvest Health due to Rage + Siphone. But Mana consumption can be high for burst. So some mana regeneration helps in this department. However +Harvest Health combos nicely with Rage Tablet + Siphon. I generally take +Mana Regeneration to be able to use skills more often. This Donovac guide focuses on his flexible ability to be a an incredibly effective tank, bruiser or even carry. Keep that in mind. The most important thing is knowing how to quickly shift and adapt to the battlefield.

Talents
    Fighter: 22
    Sharp 5 (5% attack)
    Sharpen 5 (attack per lvl)
    Armor busting 5 (pierce thru def)
    Find Weakness 3 (crit rate per lvl)
    Fatal Damage 1 (crit dmg)
    Siphon 3 (harvest)

Guardian: 18
    Strong 5 (+hp)
    Toughness 3 (phy def per lvl)
    Defense 3 (magic def per lvl)
    Fast Healer 3 (heal 35% more)
    Resilient 3 (+9hp per lvl)
    Last stand 1 (10% dmg reduc when low hp)

Tablets
    Rage
    Courage
    Immortality

Order Inscriptions- +Bonus Health
    Chaos Inscriptions- +Mana Regeneration OR +Harvest Health

Itemization
    Slot 1
    Slot 2
    Slot 3
    Slot 4
    Slot 5
    Slot 6

Usually my final build looks like this: Lost Hermetist's Cape followed by items that depend a lot on the match. This is what I like most about this hero. He isn't OP but he -is- flexible and effective. The only reason Lost Hermetist's Cape remains as a mainstay is because it is all too easy to creep with it.

Defense Items
    Lost Hermetist's Cape
    Hades Armor
    Farseer's Cloth
    Stirring Soul of the Dragons
    Zealot's Horn
    Dull Vine Shield

Attack Items
    Watcher's Whisper
    Jade Axe
    Divinity Sword
    Arkhan Cutlass
    King Killer

Other Items
    Chain Boots

What I tend to do is buy the mandatory Squire's Patience and Boots of Haste. After this I generally get out a Cloak of the Dragon's Blood and usually Lost Hermetist's Cape to give myself an immolation aura that deals constant damage and survivability. I pick up items that depend a lot on the situation. Farseer's Cloth is good for defense as it adds Health, Physical and Magical Defense as well as add more Physical and Magical Defense for every Hero killed. Stirring Soul of the Dragons grants a lot of Health, Health Regeneration, reduced cooldown and increases Physical and Magical Attack by 2% of maximum Health. Zealot's Horn adds Health, Mana, Physical Defense and an increase of attack speed to my carries. Dull Vine Shield adds Physical Attack, Health, Physical and Magical Defense and an active ability that restores 15% mana to all allies. Jade Axe adds Physical Attack and cripples enemy Physical Defense and items like Divinity Sword, King Killer and Arkham Cutlass are still pretty awesome for bruiser or carry mode. I find myself tweaking the items I want, to carry out my purpose.

Item Building
    Lost Hermetist's Cape 3000
    -Helm of the Cloud Walkers 1600
    -Black Alchemist Cape Suit 750

Watcher's Whisper 2900
    -The Wings of Paradise 1600
    -Fury Blades 600

Chain Boots 1500
    -Boots of Haste 300

Hades Armor 4000
    -Minotaur's Mask 1900
    -Cloak of the Dragon's Blood 1100

Farseer's Cloth 3800
    -Aurora's Cuirass 2700
    -Blood Pouch 450

Stirring Soul of the Dragons 4200
    -Amulet of Rejuvenation 1380
    -Cloak of the Dragon's Blood 1100

Zealot's Horn 3700
    -Tunic of the Damned 2000
    -Helm of the Cloud Walkers 1600

Dull Vine Shield 3650
    -Sacred Spirit 1700
    -Chain Mail 250

Jade Axe 3500
    -Facebreaker 1100
    -Facebreaker 1100

Divinity Sword
    -Arkhan Saber 1400
    -Serpentine Pike

Arkhan Cutlass 4000
    -Silver Spear 1900
    -The Wings of Paradise 1600

King Killer
    -Backstabber
    -Claymore 2300

Preferred Sub-Skills
    Heal Level 2
    Teleport

Skill Growth
    1 Holy Burst
    2 Blessed Bulwark
    3 Shield Slam
    4 Light of the Heavens

I tend to grow Holy Burst to level 2, Shield Slam to level 2 and Blessed Bulwark to level 1 for the first five levels. Then pick up Light of the Heavens. From there I like to put priority to Holy Burst then Shield Slam followed by the mandatory level ups to Light of the Heavens. From this I can initiate and make Kills and/or Assists with relative ease. I stick with Level 1 Blessed Bulwark until my attack skills are maxed out as they become real good at killing.

Level 1 Holy Burst
    Level 2 Shield Slam
    Level 3 Holy Burst
    Level 4 Shield Slam
    Level 5 Blessed Bulwark
    Level 6 Light of the Heavens
    Level 7 Holy Burst
    Level 8 Shield Slam
    Level 9 Light of the Heavens
    Level 10 Holy Burst
    Level 11 Shield Slam
    Level 12 Light of the Heavens
    Level 13 Blessed Bulwark
    Level 14 Blessed Bulwark
    Level 15 Blessed Bulwark

Holy Burst
    MASTER THE FINE POINTS OF USING THIS SKILL. This is something I learned the hard way because hardly anyone uses Donovac. But when you TAP this skill IMMEDIATELY after tapping HOLD and DRAG it. It will create a radius around you with a smaller circle. You can move the smaller circle within this larger radius up to the very borders. Now let go. Donovac will cast the spell and you can tap again to practically rush to the area unhindered by terrain. Great escape mechanic. Great harass mechanic. Great initiator. Great at jungling. And great at securing kills.

Blessed Bulwark
    Only use this skill if you are confident in its use. Used correctly even at level 1 it can block an attack as well as its passive of reducing 5% damage from auto attacks. Once it reaches level 4 after my attack skills are maxed out, I abuse this skill.

2. Redmanc

Redmanc DUX

Hey,

Good guide for a tricky hero. Well wrote, easy to read. and the most important things in there. Item build, tablet and inscription build. Skill levelling. Everything i need from a guide to be able to learn a hero.

I have played donovac myself, Both as a support like your building. and a fighter, I believe he is more viable in the role you have wrote the guide for. As a support.

I would only change one part of your guide, i would swap fareer's cloth for a zealots horn, the extra attack speed is very useful late game for your carry. But ive yet to try with a farseer's so i could change my mind on then pending some testing!

Ill play some tonight, with your build, and let you know how i get along!

Good job, +1

3. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

Thanks!

I been playing this build a LOT. And have used Donovac for a long while. The problem with Bruiser is that it kills Donovac's real potential to be an excellent hybrid.

I tend to jungle and lane then jungle and keep myself at a high level to help my Carries. Even his skills are more of a support side as they are made to really cripple with CC. (ensnaring with Shield Slam for my Carries to secure a kill or stun with Holy Burst for my Carries to lock on)

The reason I get Lost Hermetist's Cape as quickly as I can its because it lets you 'farm' creeps and enemy soldiers for leveling up and gold. Watcher's Whisper can be replaced if there are too many fighters messing your Carries up. I tend to win a lot of my Ranked matches if I play correctly. I have also lost but with my score having multiple assists. If you do get Watcher's Whisper its another CC after your Shield Slam for ensnaring. Not to mention the attack speed. And a Jade Axe makes it so their defense is crippled. This is if you want quick DPS.

Farseer's Cloth is due to its potential to keep you well alive in the face of magic bursts.

4. Redmanc

Redmanc DUX

Yea, I would certainly change farseers, The amount of physical carries in this game compared to magical is huge, the mages will be supports like yourself, they shouldnt be killing you. The physical carries are your problem (Deb,Elf,Monkey,Marithus,Evistix)
    More times than not, anyway.

5. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

I can always change to whatever item defensive is necessary. That's just the main build.

[​IMG]

The deaths are for getting too cocky. You can always switch Jade Axe or Farseer's Cloth for Zealot's Horn. Or any defensive item that strikes your fancy. In my case Farseer's Cloth has worked well for defensive and survivability. So I kind of grown attached to it. But I'll start looking into other items.

6. Redmanc

Redmanc DUX

Yep. thats the best way to learn, try changing it up alittle and see the effects. Great job tho man, Good guide, Get writing your next one!

7. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

The defensive regen items like Stirring Soul of the Dragons and Zealot's Horn are also prime choices for HP regeneration and passive speed up to your carries.

Also I was playing horribly these last games.

Realized I had an orb of talent up and ran out of it. :(

8. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

Here are a few pics showcasing the end of the match and my score.

Here is one we did win but I died several times. This is the one I realized I had no talents whatsoever. S*** happens. Since I'm a VA Patient with a chronic condition I usually play real fricking high. Legally high. But still high so I didn't notice I was playing without talents until this match.

[​IMG]

Here is one where we lost since our team couldn't coordinate. We were supposed to play 2-1-2 but they started doing whatever. This was also my attempt to build a different build with Stirring.

[​IMG]

This one is with full talents and running my build but switching out my last two items Farseer's Cloth and Jade Axe and building Stirring and Zealot. Never got that far. The team was hard to beat. They fought well. But luckily we had a team who could -actually- play as a team. Compared to Jombraa I have less deaths, one more kill and more assists.

[​IMG]

This one looked like a lost cause. The team wasn't cohesive enough. The players kept all accusing each other as noobs. Since I don't roll with that I just stay quiet and play. Actions tend to speak louder than words. We won because I brought a hard counter to their elf with two Hades Armor. I didn't play as well as I would have liked too buts its harder when your team are at each others throats.

[​IMG]

Side Note: I also ran him as bruiser and although he totally rocks like that it just feels... Awkward... I mean if I wanted to play that might as well choose a fighter and not a -guardian-. I also think he is too good at it. Which kind of defeats the purpose of him being a Guardian but well he probably will get tweaked.

Here it is though we lost this one for bad team composition. It shows me running him in the bruiser category. With a succesful Rampage! During the course of the game.

[​IMG]

9. actinomycetemcomitans

actinomycetemcomitans Well-Known Member

Why not, but i prefer bruiser mod, you shouldnt need so much armor to be resilient with tank talents/tablets and your defensive spell + except if your team really needs a pure tank you waste his bruiser's potential : his stats are awesome he is tanky + fighters stats (damage and attackspeed)

10. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

Oh I know I been playing him as a full hybrid of both: Usually three def items and three attack items. Or something similar. Mostly Watcher's + Divinity + Jade.

However I also like to take the Tank role seriously and their are times the team definitely doesn't need a Bruiser. This is usually when I go Watcher + Jade only and go into Assist Kills mode. So I am actually using his full potential to be versatile. Which is his biggest strength. He can be a Tank Support, Assist Carry, Bruiser and even full Carry (nothing but LHC on him and Watcher + Divinity + Cutlass + Jade)

11. sulluman

sulluman New Member

I played with you the other day.

I really really hope you watch videos of people playing donovac just to see how much potential he really has.

That's the beauty of Donovac. You BUILD him as a tank, but you play as a bruiser.

He is not a "backup" or "support". Playing him as such is like an elf that buys watchers whisper to slow down the opponents so lebmont can take kills.

The pics below are all ranked games that I feel hilight Donovac's potential. Take note of the item builds. Almost all are exclusively tanky.

12. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

I gotten better :)

I even got down his Holy Rush skill. I just don't have new pics but I been doing well just not getting any luck with team compositions. I now actually get Kills and Assists. And most of those items have made it on my build :)

I tend to shift him.

For example if I see no real good carry I quickly switch to Bruiser or Full Carry (watcher+divinity+cutlass+jade) I'll update my guide later to reflect that. And post new pics when I have time.

Otherwise I got Tank Bruiser and still get kills I needed to learn how to use his skills better specifically Holy Burst drag and cast. That's been a game changer. Also better timing of his Ultimate. I tend to get level 2 Blessed Bulwark and quickly max out the others as it gives him so much killing potential.

13. sulluman

sulluman New Member

You only need one bulwark early game. (If at all.) Holy Burst is too good not to max asap, and you need the slow maxed right after.

I would only recommend bulwark early IF you are a master at using it. (Confident tower diving, etc).

For regular and learning donovac players, just max holy burst and learn how to use it properly.

14. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

Cool. I been doing Level 1 Bulwark. Let me fix my guide to update that.

15. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

My lastest game and showcasing how much I have improved on Donovac.

[​IMG]

16. actinomycetemcomitans

At least youve get rid of early watchers's whisp thats a beginning :p

17. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

I still use it when in bruiser mode. +80% Attack Speed + Slow is pretty good for snaring after Shield Slam. Add DS+AS for more damage and CC. KK is a new item I grown fond off for straight up kills.
    WW+DS+AS+JA/KK

But I prefer to got the tank route first then either kills with skills or get attack items.

A build I use is LHC+HA+WW+DS+AS

I just now have a more deeper knowledge of switching the build on the fly.

I do like getting CotDB first for that +400HP followed by LHC for added survivability.

18. actinomycetemcomitans

You bought it too early in your previous screenshots

19. IssacFrost

IssacFrost New Member

Yeah. It's much more superior to work out his tankiness. Just had a match with 15 kills and 20ish assists. I had: LHC HA WW AS DS CB

Remember it takes time to best customize a hero and my guide has changed a lot as I have gotten better with him.

20. actinomycetemcomitans

Just read mine and you know what to buy first xD
    If u really want WW take it 4 5 6 item not before;)
    Basically you need squirex2 armor(1150gold) vs carrys you fear the most, and get offensive stuff OR continue armoring(hades, vine shield and so on)