[Helmm Slagfist] Tidus69's guide to <Forgemaster>

Discussion in 'Support Guides' started by Serquet70, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Serquet70

Serquet70 Ex Staff

Feb 28, 2013
    " I will bend them to my will... or break them like brittle iron ! "

Price :
    28,000 emblems
    450 runes

Hey guys, I wanted to share to everyone how this hero works, so here we go !

Helmm is a very special physical support that can double as a tank; two area stuns, one healing/shield spell, a passive and a ultimate increasing his defense, and he can also deal decent damage.

His Skills :

Shatter Strike

[Image: 1381629223-image.jpg]

Helmm hurls his hammer at the targeted location, stunning enemies within 5 meters for 0.5 seconds. After 4 seconds, the hammer explodes.

Damage: 40/80/120/160 (+50% physical attack bonus) on initial impact and 80/130/180/230 (+50% physical attack bonus) upon explosion; Range: 9m; Mana Cost: 90/100/110/120; Cooldown: 16s/15s/14s/13s.

Comment : This skill deals decent damage with a nice 9m range (the range doesn't increase leveling), and is great to interrupt any continuous spells (Jombraa's ultimate, Vigelos' missiles, Harpie's kiss of death, Cyclops' ultimate, etc.), it also helps you and your team chasing a running enemy interrupting him. But the stun duration is very low and the area where the hammer explodes can't be detonated manually (it explodes automatically after 4 seconds), which means it can be dodged easily. However this skill works great combined with Crashing Steel used right after -> a second stun to prevent enemy heroes to runaway from the area, getting a Fername's Blade can also help a lot and adds 2 slow to his spells, preventing enemy heroes to runaway and take all damage. This skill scale well with physical attack (50% bonus), late game the damage is decent but not amazing.
    Note : this skill doesn't require a target and can be dragged manually, useful to drag in bush/clouds to prevent a gank.

Cauterize

[Image: 1381629500-image.jpg]

Helmm shapes and releases the fiery energy within his forge, shielding all allies and buildings within 7 meters. Cauterize also heals allies within 7 meters.

Shields allies and buildings, absorbing 70/110/150/190 (105/165/225/285 if Molten Transmutation is activated) (+25% physical attack bonus) damage and heals allied heroes, restauring 24/32/40/48 (+25% physical attack bonus) HP per second; Duration: 5s; Range: 7m area; Mana Cost: 70/90/110/130; Cooldown: 19s/17s/15s/13s.

Comment : A great healing/shield spell, the heal scale very well with physical attack (25% bonus, over 500hp healed late game and a shield absorbing over 300 damage) which make him a great healer, along with Goblin Scout and Grey Witch.
    Let me explain this spell : The heal only works on Helmm and allied heroes within 7 meters, it doesn't heal your creeps and buildings, AND the shield works on your creeps, buildings (towers and base) and allied heroes within 7 meters, BUT NOT on Helmm.
    Helmm can still move during this spell but it will be interrupted, which means you can't do anything but standing still when you use this spell (it lasts 5 seconds), so use it carefully (stuns can interrupt it as well).
    I personally think that shielding towers/base is pretty useless unless allied heroes are around. This spell works great in teamfights with the ultimate activated and will give your team a big advantage.

Crashing Steel

[Image: 1381629643-image.jpg]

Charges to a position within 6 meters, dealing damage and stunning for 0.5 seconds all enemies along the path.

Damage: 70/120/170/220 (+20% physical attack bonus); Passive increases his own Physical Defense and Magical Defense by 4%/8%/12%/16%; Range: 6m; Mana Cost: 150; Cooldown: 15s.

Comment : The range is short and doesn't increase leveling, the Mana Cost and Cooldown remains the same, and the damage doesn't scale well with physical attack (only 20% bonus). But this skill works great used right after Shatter Strike for a full 1 second stun, it's also good to interrupt any continuous spells along with Shatter Strike.
    The passive is what makes Helmm a decent tank with a great defense bonus when maxed.
    Note : this skill doesn't require a target and can be dragged manually, even though the range is very short (6m) it's useful to escape an enemy especially when slowed down, it's also useful to chase (drag it manually in your enemy's direction and use Shatter Strike with its 9m range to hit him).

Molten Transmutation

[Image: 1381629901-image.jpg]

Helmm unleashes the full power of his forge, causing a torrent of energy and transmuting his body, boosting his strength.

Increases Max HP by 100/200/300 (+50% physical attack bonus), and reduces damage taken by 20%; deals 2%/3%/4% of the target's Max HP (+50% physical attack bonus) as Magical Damage to enemies within 6 meters; Duration: 15s; Mana Cost: 80/100/120; Cooldown: 65s/55s/45s.

Comment : First of all, this skill seems bugged as it doesn't deal Magical Damage but Physical Damage, furthermore it doesn't deal exactly 2%/3%/4% of the target's Max HP but extra damage according to Helmm's physical attack (which is not mentioned in the spell description), and the damage scale VERY WELL the more physical attack you have (50% bonus), late game easily over 150 damage per second on squishy target (150x15=2250 damage in 15sec to any enemy within 6 meters, not to mention his auto-attack and other spell damage), which makes Helmm a great damage dealer (you can add a Lost Hermetist's Cloak to his build to deal even more aoe damage). Add to that the decent HP boost (that is increased according to your physical attack, it scales pretty well (50% bonus), ~150 HP+ late game in addition to the 100/200/300 HP it gives), and the 20% reduce incoming damage (the % doesn't increase leveling) that makes him very tanky. And all of this for 15 seconds, some sort of Reega's ultimate, people will soon realize its power and avoid melee fight with Helmm for its whole duration.
    However the range is short (6 meters), the best is to use it positioning Helmm in the middle of a teamfight and use his Cauterize spell to heal/shield his allies (the shield gets a boost with the Ultimate activated) dealing decent damage to nearby enemies at the same time.
    Note : his ultimate doesn't deal critical damage.

Skill Build :

Helmm can be very versatile and players can choose to max his heal first if they are going support build, or his passive to make him tanky, or finally his first skill to deal more damage.
    I personally think that maxing the healing spell first is the best option for teamfights, getting the two stuns first for the 1 second stun combo (Shatter Strike-Crashing Steel), but as the range doesn't increase for these spells I think it is better to max them later.
    Max his passive second for the extra defense, put points in his ultimate whenever you can, and max Shatter Strike last. Some people will want to max Shatter Strike second or first for the nice damage is deals, the builds are very personal.

Support-oriented build :

Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Cauterize
    Cauterize
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Cauterize
    Crashing Steel
    Molten Transmutation
    Crashing Steel
    Crashing Steel
    Molten Transmutation
    Shatter Strike
    Shatter Strike
    Shatter Strike

Tank-oriented build :

Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Cauterize
    Crashing Steel
    Crashing Steel
    Molten Transmutation
    Crashing Steel
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Cauterize
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Shatter Strike
    Shatter Strike
    Shatter Strike

DPS-oriented build :

Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Shatter Strike
    Molten Transmutation
    Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Molten Transmutation
    Crashing Steel
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Cauterize
    Cauterize
    Cauterize

Support and DPS-oriented build :

Shatter Strike
    Crashing Steel
    Shatter Strike
    Cauterize
    Shatter Strike
    Molten Transmutation
    Shatter Strike
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Cauterize
    Cauterize
    Molten Transmutation
    Crashing Steel
    Crashing Steel
    Crashing Steel

Item Build :

Helmm itemization can be very versatile : his skills scale well with physical attack, his spells are costly so he needs some mana/mana regen, and he got a nice defense with his passive and ultimate which make him become very tanky getting armor.

First get two Squire's Patience, or a Squire's Patience + one Bolstering Ring and a Regeneration Crystal that give Helmm an amazing Mana regeneration allowing you to use his skills at will sacrificing some survavibility (thanks to O 3o for the tip !).
    Helmm has the lowest base movement speed so boots are a must for him, get the cheap 300g boots in early game whenever you can. I personally upgrade them later in game to Boots of the Tempest to chase enemies when my ultimate is activated and for fast positioning in teamfights, Savage Boots are also great for him with the attack speed (his animation is slow and his attack speed low as well).
    Then build an Akhan Cutlass for the extra damage/speed, Hades Armor to make him tanky, Fername's Blade for the great mana regen, cooldown reduction and slow on his spells, Longbow of the Shadow to pierce through physical defense, and Blessed Bracers for the great physical attack boost (don't forget his spells scale well with physical attack, especially the heal).

Other items (the boots can be sold towards late game, Fername's Blade can be replaced when you're able to buy Bard's Tonic late game for the mana regeneration) :

Lost Hermetist's Cloak is nice for the extra dots damage with his ultimate and the extra mana is also great, it helps him farm too.
    Zealot's Horn with its extra mana, HP and defense is a good support item for him and will benefit the whole team with the extra attack speed, especially when Helmm is using Cauterize in teamfights.
    Watcher Whisper's can be very useful when you want enemies to stick to your Ultimate slowing them down, and the great attack speed boost helps a lot.
    Divinity Sword gives him a nice defense and harvest boost, and the stun passive can be helpful.
    Jade Axe helps him piercing through enemies physical defense along with the Longbow of the Shadow and getting some extra dps.
    Spider Queen's Embrace makes him extremely tanky with Hades Armor.

Example of item build (support/tank-oriented) :

[Image: 1381661454-image.jpg]

Strategies :

In a 1v1 situation (or 1v2/3/4/5 if you're fed/they are low hp), start off with Shatter Strike and quickly use Crashing Steel for a 1 second stun and to keep your enemy in the exploding area. Then use your ultimate and auto-attack/use your stuns again if the cooldown is done to take him down. Using Cauterize in a 1v1 situation is useless as it doesn't shield you and the heal will most likely not be higher than the damage you take (unless you're very tanky/your opponent damage is low). Only use it if a greedy enemy chase you past your tower trying to get the last hit on you to heal yourself and avoid dying, and watch him die from your tower/creeps/allied heroes.

In teamfights, start off with Shatter Strike and Crashing Steel, pop your Ultimate and position yourself close to your enemies to damage them with the ultimate, but still within 7 meters of your allies to be able to heal your team, and then, ONLY when the enemies used all their stuns (to prevent the heal from being interrupted), you can use Cauterize to heal and shield your team. Then re-use your stun combo once the cooldown is done and finish off your enemies.

Talents and Tablets :

I personally get fighter and support talent (21/19), the mana regen in support talents helps a lot, the extra movement speed, surprise, harvest, biting for extra damage, are also great, here are 2 fighter builds, I personaly use the Crit talents, but since Helmm lacks speed in his normal attack I made a build for him adding a decent amount of Attack Speed :

Fighter (Crit Talents) :

[attachment=1730]

OR

Fighter (Attack Speed Talents) :

[attachment=1731]

+

Support Talents :

[attachment=1732]

I haven't tried other talents with him but guardian talents and/or cooldown reduction in mage talents can be very effective on him.

As tablets, I personally use Protective, Immortality (increases his Cauterize heal on himself when under 20% health by 40%), and Rage. Other tablets as Desire, Purity, Whispering, Ruthless, Assistance, Elemental and Courage are also nice with Helmm. And as inscriptions I use mana regeneration and cooldown reduction.

2. drain_bamage

drain_bamage New Member

May 3, 2013
    played him as free and loved him so I bought him, thanks for the tips! very helpful on the intro build with squires and mana-regen items!

3. Bloodexorcist

Bloodexorcist Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I personally LOVE going glass cannon with this guy with whisper desire and blood lust . His mid game powerspike is pretty amazing and with a good team his impact can be crazy

4. drain_bamage

drain_bamage New Member

May 3, 2013
    what do you mean by "glass cannon"?

I have those three tablets as well because of going fighter but I love using this guy as like a fighter-tank hybridish char if that makes any sense lol

5. Akise

Akise no longer Detective

Jun 16, 2013
    A glass cannon is where the hero has extremely good offensive stats but with a horrible defensive stat. But I guess Crashing Steel's passive makes up for it, maybe?

6. drain_bamage

drain_bamage New Member

May 3, 2013
    If thats the case I typically use him as such as well. But honestly his passive and ult make him sturdy in my experience! I usually give him Arkhan and Longbow and some defense and he holds his own. My first defense item is usual the 60 60 phys/magic and the rest is whichever damage gives me a harder time and he does work. just me though :)

7. Zorqx

Zorqx Active Member

May 14, 2014
    If crashing steel buffs his native defense stats then yes it does make him more tanky with the passive. Though not as tanky as he would otherwise be if you played him bruiser rather than full fighter.

8. drain_bamage

drain_bamage New Member

May 3, 2013
    Im pretty sure it does buff his native but ya as a full fledged bruiser I think he's great. Also, I have a couple mana regen items early game that REALLY help thanks to OP :D so farming and creep killing is super easy with hammer blow up thingy

although I'm disappointed with his rush and stun length and can almost never use it unless I'm basically already melee range, it helps a bit

I max his heal last but it does some good post team-brawl because your team doesn't have to necessarily tele all the way back home just yet

my 2cents

9. MuRkEr532

MuRkEr532 Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    He should be in the guardian class, other than that he's got some mega dots, on par if not better than doom with ult, Late game can be a massive powerhouse can even out carry some fighters imo.

I have two builds for him that crush normals, ez rampages.

Heavy dot build:
    Hermitists,Hades,Zealots,Akhans,Stirring Dragon,King killer.(Very tanky decent attack speed and damage, Dragon soul scales very well with all the extra hp from items and ult.

Bruiser build:
    Hades,Zealots,Bow,Akhans,King killer,Reapers glove. Hades is a suffiecent tank item but incase the enemy has very high hp swap it out for hermits or another dps item ideally WW for the slow which puts your ukt to work.

10. Jackxpn

Jackxpn Member

Apr 23, 2013
    3 end-game Items that will make Helmm solid.

Stirring Soul, Essence Stealer and Nymphs Relic. With a combined CD of 45%, and comes with Heal distrupt, and Heal boost, making him an all round tank.

11. Nogriefing

Nogriefing Active Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Now you can do a build with just stirring souls and he will be op, since his dmg and heals based on hp%.
    8000hp=640 dmg crashing steel :)