[Melina Spellmann] Akatsuki's Guide to the <Maven of Magic> v.1.5

Discussion in 'Mage Guides' started by Akatsuki, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Relinquish your spark.

Orphaned at a young age, Melina Spellmann made her living through petty crime until she tried to pickpocket the legendary Grandmaster Airurasth. Recognizing in Melina the potential for a great sorceress, Airurasth took her under the wing. Unfortunately, he mysteriously disappeared before her lessons could be completed and Melina was left to find her own way.Though she is still figuring out her craft, she is immensely powerful and determined to succeed at all costs with her unstable magic.

"No man shall defeat me!"

Profile Skill Combinations:
    Teleport / Blink - low
    Teleport / Sneak - nice, but provides escape because she doesn't have any kind of escape skills/gap closer lol
    Teleport / Frost Bolt + tablet - average, use when you have a tablet only
    Teleport / Fireball - best, helps you kill enemies with tablet or not, with tablet, decreases enemies defenses by 20%.

-------
    I. Introduction

Hello! Today I'm gonna show you how I build the Maven of Magic, Melina Spellmann. So far all of the Melina's, well, almost all, I've encountered are completely clueless on how they are doing so I've decided to make this guide on how to play Melina.

Okay, so first off, I'm gonna say that I made this in-depth guide because a certain character in the forums, gave negative criticism to my older guide and didn't bother to say what's wrong and he kept saying Sand was not a viable counter to Melina with the word 'noob' at the end of each sentence.

So; this might be a guide to our favorite Melina, but I am gonna try to prove him wrong at the same time, so let's start.

Basically, this section is filled with description of the skills and such so you can skip it if you like.

Fire Unchained -
    Shoots a fireball at a target.
    Damage: 70/120/170/220 + [80% Magical Attack]

Effect: 70% chance of resetting its cooldown and MP cost if the attack kills a target.

-- Typical human mage spell. It hurls a fireball at your targeted enemy dealing decent damage, and if you kill anything with the spell, there is a 70% chance of resetting the cooldown and your MP, but a 30% unlucky chance when you can, but you're simply just unlucky. Apparently, the chance to reset the cooldown and MP increases by 10%/20%/30% until 100% by simply mastering your fourth skill, the Master of Magic, which I am gonna explain about later in its respective section.

Arcane Blast - Unleashes a powerful blast on the battlefield.
    Damage: 100/140/180/220 + [30% Magical Attack]

Effect: Reduces enemies' movement speed by 10/20/30/40% for 3 Seconds. 20% chance to unleash an additional effect of doubling the slow effect.

-- This is one of her CC which I usually get at Level 3, that's because I need Fire Unchained and Deep Freeze, which are the only skills I need to decapitate an enemy. CC is an acronym for crowd control, which is slow/stun/or anything that debuffs your enemies or halt their movements, letting your teammates kill the enemy. This help in clearing creep waves but I usually just last-hit with my Fire Unchained skill as it reverts its cooldown and mana to normal, which is helpful and gives you sustain in lane, not needing any unnecessary mana potions where you shouldn't waste your gold in unless is necessarily needed.

Deep Freeze - Unleashes a spell that freezes a target.
    Damage: 70/120/170/220 + [50% Magical Attack]

Effect: Melina will unfortunately be frozen for 1 second. This skill has 50% chance to unleash an additional effect where Melina is not frozen.

-- This is a pretty awesome stun! Apparently, after you max this skill up, its stun is 2.25 seconds exceeding Elf's Crystal Arrow stun, this is your bread for 1v1 and your butter is Arcane Blast and Fire Unchained respectively. However, there is a chance the spell backfires that it'll freeze Melina along with the enemy half the time her enemy is completely encased in ice, giving you half the time to kill your enemy, however, the 50% chance for Melina not to be frozen might increase once you level Master of Magic to maximum, making it 80% as Master of Magic increases all the probability of your spells by 10%/20%/30%. After saying the skills, I am gonna give you the tricks I usually use with all of my skills.

Master of Magic - Passive + Active skill.
    Passive: Increase the probability of Melina's other skills by 30%.

Active: Become a master of magic for 20 seconds! During this time, when Melina unleashes a skill on a target, she will also fire an element missile toward the target.

(The magical damage dealt by the magic bullet thing)
    Damage: 70/100/130 + [20% Magical Attack]

Effect: when Melina unleashes a skill on a target, she will also fire an element missile toward the target.

-- Her ultimate! As you can see it increases the probabilities to reset a skill, double the slow AND for Melina not to be encased in the iceberg that was hit by the Titanic and ALSO makes you the master of magic as it suits her title; and it also fires an element missiles which scales (I think) with the damage of the spells you throw at your opponents.

-------
    II. The Maven of Magic

maven

noun ma·ven \ˈmā-vən\
    : a person who knows a lot about a particular subject

As said by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Melina knows a lot of spells and knows how to use them well, so I am gonna give you a list of skill order and how to use them nicely.

1.) The Early Bird
    The point of this skill build is that you'll probably invade the enemy jungle in order to get a few hero kills, so you'll have to get your CCs first.

3-2-1-3-3-4-3-1-4-1-1-2-2-2

As you can see, I maxed the Deep Freeze first as leveling it up increases the duration of the skill; I got Fire Unchained since it is your main damaging skill and I went for Arcane Blast second but maxed it last in order to get a good slow CC when you're giving chase against enemies.

My skill rotation for The Early Bird:
    Deep Freeze > Fire Unchained > Arcane Blast -- chase a bit > Fire Unchained > Deep Freeze and by that time your enemy should be dead (if it isn't a tank). It gives you time to harass your enemies a bit within the duration of the first stun and you can cast a damaging skills and 2-3 normal attacks and you drag the slow CC near the target so it'd slow, anticipating that reinforcements will arrive and stun the enemy, you can use your damaging skill again and get the kill afterwards.

My item build for The Early Bird:
    I usually get two Squire's Wisdom. Always. It gives you survival skillz because of the +200 HP and the nice magic attack boost (along with your talents). I will go farm a bit, until level 6 when I get the Master of Magic as it gives probability to your spells, and get a Enchanter's Ring and boots (or Necromancer's Passion and Boots/Searing Orb and boots) in order to build up a Searing Orb that provides 30% magical penetration, it doesn't matter if you have a bit of magical damage as Searing Orb provides what you need early game. MATK, MP and penetration all in one. Afterwards you can build up a Boneflame Wand and a Stirring Soul of the Dragons. These three times are the ones you'll need to build a successful Melina, depending on the situation on whoever on the enemy team is fed, get a defense item (Valkyrie Robe/Hades Armor/Spider Queen's Embrace), although with SQE you'll sacrifice Physical Attack just for MDEF so going with the Valkyrie Robe is better, it's just a matter of preference. This is the build I use for all my skill builds. c:

2. Farm Before the Kill
    The point of this skill build is you'll get creep kills in order to get good income so that you can buy your respective magi staves and armor.

1-3-2-1-1-4-1-3-4-3-3-4-2-2-2

I got Fire Unchained first as it provides you good sustain in the lane and you can poke and harass your enemies whilst getting creep kills by just tapping the button, I got Deep Freeze second so you can get some kills early game when you get the chance, but do not be greedy as people can just teleport and gang up on you, and Arcane Blast as a last skill for its CC. I usually use this build and I always like to farm first. c:

My skill rotation for Farm Before the Kill:
    Deep Freeze > Fire Unchained > Arcane Blast -- chase a bit > Fire Unchained > Deep Freeze and by that time your enemy should be dead (if it isn't a tank). It gives you time to harass your enemies a bit within the duration of the first stun and you can cast a damaging skills and 2-3 normal attacks and you drag the slow CC near the target so it'd slow, anticipating that reinforcements will arrive and stun the enemy, you can use your damaging skill again and get the kill afterwards.

My item build for Farm Before the Kill:
    I usually get two Squire's Wisdom. Always. It gives you survival skillz because of the +200 HP and the nice magic attack boost (along with your talents). I will go farm a bit, until level 6 when I get the Master of Magic as it gives probability to your spells, and get a Enchanter's Ring and boots (or Necromancer's Passion and Boots/Searing Orb and boots) in order to build up a Searing Orb that provides 30% magical penetration, it doesn't matter if you have a bit of magical damage as Searing Orb provides what you need early game. MATK, MP and penetration all in one. Afterwards you can build up a Boneflame Wand and a Stirring Soul of the Dragons. These three times are the ones you'll need to build a successful Melina, depending on the situation on whoever on the enemy team is fed, get a defense item (Valkyrie Robe/Hades Armor/Spider Queen's Embrace), although with SQE you'll sacrifice Physical Attack just for MDEF so going with the Valkyrie Robe is better, it's just a matter of preference. This is the build I use for all my skill builds. c:

In all honestly all is the same for Melina as she is a hero that is actually pretty easy to use, I only made this guide since I saw a few people having trouble with her.

III. Weaknesses
    Melina is weak against heroes with CC such as Balondis and Agdirousi.

Balondis, the Forgotten Warrior has a silence skill and a slow, a cage that can slow you and he can kill you if he's bulky enough, but if he doesn't invest much on MDEF you can kill him relatively easy if you manage to kite him around and stun him with your Deep Freeze and spam spells against him.

Agdirousi, the Sand Walker has a ultimate + root for an ultimate rendering Melina useless, especially in teamfights. All she could do by that time is to auto attack and Deep Freeze as soon as the skill is over and make a run for it as Agdirousi's passive is also good if he has a Divinity Sword.

Melina Spellmann, the Maven of Magic has Deep Freeze. Know your own weaknesses is all I'd say. Against one it depends on whoever is stronger and craftier.

Lut'Hiran, the Paladin Grandmaster has an ultimate wherein he can be invulnerable to spells.

Sia Tidesinger/Machry, the Priestess of the Tides and the Gambler they both have stuns, Sia is more dangerous as she has two slows and Melina can be stunned if the substance mixed together--Gambler's dice depends on range and Melina is relatively squishy, which is why I bought Stirring Souls of the Dragons and he also has a stun.

IV. Talents and Tablets
    The Tablets I use are Elder Tablet, Whispering Tablet and Assistance Tablet/Elemental Tablet
    Depends. Elemental has shorter CD but only active in a specified amount of HP, Assistance is better since you will mainly use Teleports with her to help out teammates in disposing enemies.

I use @Levesqmi 's Talent Guide 1.9:
    Mage/Support (Default configuration)
    Usage: Same as for fighter/support, this configuration really helps all mage based heroes through leveling up as they get bonus HP/MP from Surprise. Good on every map, but shines more on Rift (more large scale teamfight before reaching lvl15)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    * These points that can be swapped with similar results
    Mage = 26
    • Fast Casting = 5 (5% CD reduction)
    • Apprentice = 4 (CD reduction per lvl)
    • Mana Adept = 1 (10% less mana per skill)
    • Skill Penetration = 4 (Pierce through mag def)
    • Accident = 3 (crit on creep)
    • Skill Outbreak = 1 (crit on hero)
    • Knowledge = 3 (Matk per lvl)
    • Strike Back = 1 (Matk % increase when low 40%HP)
    • Magic Feedback = 3 (leach)
    • Death's Embrace = 1 (10% more dmg on stun/slow target)

Support = 14
    • Quickening = 5 (run speed)
    • Any other tier 1-2 talent = 2
    • Greed = 3 (cash on creep)
    • Surprise = 3 (bonus HP/MP per lvl)
    • Teamwork Pays = 1 (cash for heroes)
    Gives Melina enough speed and the Surprise skill is really good aswell.

Credit: @Levesqmi for the Talent Guide! Thank you Levesqmi! c:

---
    end of guide

2. zupernuz

zupernuz KING OF B S

Why changing the guide page??? Why not just edit it??? Its still noob guide tho.

3. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Relinquish your spark.

Well if you would, I'd like to see you make your own as you have done nothing but criticize my guide in an immature way. As I have said, this is my guide--my build. If they want to play like it, then feel free to.

4. mikesmight1234

mikesmight1234 Active Member

Reading back at his other guide and seeing.the wastes of space that are your comments I asked myself, is there a point in people like you posting on these forums.

All you did was call him noob and you put him down. I don't know if you have any beef with him but please don't post hate on these forums. Your not helping anyone out and all your doing is coming across as a child.

Leave the guy alone.

Also good guide!

5. Fistmagic

Fistmagic Active Member

I agree with his farm before the kill build except I rush arrogance cloak first.

6. Elijael

Elijael G.O.D.slayer

I think everybody has has his own way of playing. I dont use support talents ( fck surprise) and mostly build mage/ Tank like 27/13 . But melina or storm i play almost full mage. Tbh forget frostbolt and fireball tab they take to much potential. I play her with teleport and blink . Recommended tablets : whisper, ASSISTANCE , desecreation , desire ( courage or elder) . Max her first skill then her second. Try it out b4 leaving nab comments. Thx

Jingxiwu likes this.
  7. Zorqx

Zorqx Active Member

Great guide. I max arcane blast first personally because I prefer its reliability, the scaling slow and damage, and the speed at which you can push with it to deep freeze's increased stun. Otherwise spot on.