Reccommend me some anime

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HarvestFTW, Mar 17, 2015.

1. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Now dont criticize me on my preferences but....
    I've liked code geass, Full metal alchemist, death note and fairy tail(waiting for more dubbed)
    Can you reccommend me some more anime that's preferrable eng dubbed, has some sort of intellectual cat and mouse game and possible includes sci-fi, fantasy
    Thanks in advance

2. Merbal

Merbal Member

Feb 2, 2015
  3. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    While I did see that I was hoping to get personalised results dependant on what animes I just listed but it seems that they pop up there too.
    BTW does anyone know when more dubbed fairy tail will come out?

4. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Dubbed fairy tail was the thing that really sparked my anime interests (I watched one piece episodes 1-125 as a child but shoved it off as some cartoon lol). But looking back now dub it just kinda stinks compared to subbed. The japanese show waaay more emotion and gives you those feels. But props to fairy tail because i think their dubbed hit past 175 episodes; I stopped watching after 48 Dubbed because there were no more.
    I think SAO has an english dub check it out it has anything you could imagine..its soo cool and sub is always better XD.
    The one show in my opinion that i would never watch in sub from what ive seen is heavens lost property. That show is way better dubbed and it has a lot of perverted stuff but it gets really good and the characters are so cool it makes me cry. :[
    Also Magi has a dub and Its really good too, you know with action and big beautiful environments just like SAO.

SO: SAO, Magi, and heavens lost property if you want

5. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Ok thanks Peachy, I only got to around 30 of one piece as well admittedly.Will give the subbed a go, but i am actually liking the english dubbed. Forgive my ignorance but is SAO the name or is it a abbreviation? Will give heavens property and magi a go, which of the three is your favourite so i know which to watch first?
    thanks heaps!

6. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    I guess go with SAO first; sword art online.
    And heavens lost prop may seem really stupid but just finish it its great

7. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Oh ok... sword art online.... I was reluctant to watch it but I'll give it a go. How many episodes do you think before the ball starts rolling on Heavens lost prop?

8. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    funny you should say maybe first episode hehehehehe mwhahahaha

but prob episode 8
    it has 2 seasons btw
    i was very reluctant to say Heavens Lost Prop but because i already recommened it give it a ty XD

9. PSYduck

PSYduck Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Have you tried steins gate? -- sci-fi plot revolved around time travel
    No game no life? -- fantasy based. Has your desired cat and mouse elements to it with cheeky comic relief

10. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    thx peach, will get back to you when I watch it, make sure to watch the thread

11. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    have not tried steins gate, a lot of people seem to reccommend it, will add it to my list but what is it actually about?

Tried watching no game no life, but sadly crunchyroll sucks and i couldnt watch an episode so i stopped.

12. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    sure and what pysduck said no game no life sooooooo good.

13. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Sadly I don't know how I'd watch it without buying it since crunchyroll failed me

14. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    uhhh just google the anime you want to watch and add dub or sub. Crunchyroll has great graphics but the commercials are annoying af. I use this site for now: http://anime.place/
    good site has sub and dubbed of all animes imaginable XD

15. Haharanger

Haharanger Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    I actually can't tell much from your preference, but I'll recommend a few anyway.
    - Attack on Titan, you probably heard of this one a lot, trust me it's really good(a little bit gory though).
    - Akame ga Kill, if you like tragedy(or Game of Thrones) go with this, the ending is a little rushed though(plus gore, plus stupid comical relief, plus character genocide, but still okay).
    - Guilty Crown, quite similar to Code Geass, almost to the point of ripoff. But give it a try, I don't see anything wrong with it, and the animation is good. (I suspect Aldnoah Zero to be in the similar category, though I didn't watch that one.)
    - Fate/Zero, absolute masterpiece, no random power-ups and plot stretches, strongly recommend(slightly dark though)!
    - Fate/Stay Night, sequel of FZ(FZ is actually the prequel not the other way around but oh well), less intense but still good, especially the animation. Do make sure you watch the ongoing 2014 remake by ufotable though, the 2006 anime and the 2010 movie both suck.
    - Future Diary, I haven't really watched this one yet, but my friends liked it a lot. I'll tell you the main character has a psycho girlfriend and the show has some gore.
    - SAO, the story is good but the narration is crap(not that it's hard to understand, though). The time skip of the first half is nuts, and the second half is slightly awkward. But this show has a lot of hype moments.
    - SAO 2, I personally think the story isn't as good as season 1, but at least there's no crazy time skip every episode.
    - Shakugan no Shana 1-3, I don't think many know this one. One of the few actually fully ended anime so you don't need to worry about what happens later. The story is pretty interesting, though season 3 is a little rushed and kind of requires spoiler to fully comprehend.
    - Tokyo Ghoul, I didn't watch this one either, but it appears to be quite popular.

zebracow101 and HarvestFTW like this.
  16. Merbal

Merbal Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Log Horizon is good. Nice story, funny. You don't be bored :)

Plot from Wikipedia

17. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Just watched about 11 episodes of SAO it's actually pretty damn good!
    Haharanger:
    - attack on titam - firstly I don't mean to offend anyone but I'm not keen on this at all, the art style looks weird and the story just isn't something I'd think I'd like
    - akame ga kill - My friend reccommended me this, I intend to watch it but don't know what it's about, can you tell me?
    - guilty crown - I liked code geass because of SOME of the intellectual battles not because of the mechas, does this have the cat & mouse too?
    - fate - I've heard of it supposably it is really good, can you give me some pointers on what it is about
    - future diary - I watched this, it's weird but it's not bad i suppose.
    as for Shakugan no Shana 1-3, and Tokyo Ghoul I may add it to the list but as for now I've got some anime to watch

Log horizon looks like something I'm watching now, will probably add it too though I will probably add a anme between so I'm not watching two 'transported to virtual world' animes back to back
    Thanks everyone!

18. peachyfuzz

peachyfuzz Active Member

Nov 24, 2014
    watch magi XD
    i just finished marai nikki (future diary) its really good and creepy
    also theres soul eater and samurai champloo (some of my other recommends ^_^)
    I watched 5 eps of attack on titan and deemed it not me =p

19. HarvestFTW

HarvestFTW Member

Feb 24, 2015
    yeah like I said, magi is on my list with two others after I finsish SOA(I was pleasantly surprised how much i liked it) that response there was to merbal and haharanger.

20. Haharanger

Haharanger Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Akame ga Kill is basically about how a group of assassins trying to overthrow a corrupt empire. It's notorious for killing off many of its important characters, though, if you don't like too much deaths think twice before watching.
    Guilty crowns doesn't really have nearly as much plotting and tactics, and it has some pretty weird twists. The highlight of GC is actually largely graphics and the few emotional rushes.
    Fate is a story of a battle between 7 magicians from across the world over the Holy Grail, a supposed granter of all wishes, with the aid of summoned spirits of past heroes called Servants(e.g. King Arthur, Alexander the Great). It has a lot of maneuvering(especially Fate Zero) and quite a bit of philosophy, I think you would like it. Fate Zero is about the 4th war, Fate Stay Night is about the 5th.