Fighter VS Mage?

Discussion in 'New Players' started by pandagamer19876, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:

Fighter VS Mage?

1. Fighter

33.3%
  2. Mage

66.7%
  1. pandagamer19876

pandagamer19876 Member

Hi. I'm new to HOC. I have been playing casually for a month now and at level 26. I need help, should I choose a fighter or a mage (or a support or guardian)? And what hero should I buy?

I really like Vigelos and Laurelai, but I also like Lebmont, Qui Yuelan, and Lu Yunfei, although I still don't have these heroes. I only got the chance to play them when they were like free to play for a week or something. Except for Qui and Lu, I only saw them as ally or enemy, but I found them really strong.

What should I do? Any help? Thank you!

2. Zhue

Zhue Member

U shuld try to be comfortable with at least 2-3 heroes from each class as this will allow u to be flexible and pick the proper hero to match ur team and enemy composition.

Ultimately hero selection depends on ur playstyle. For a mage, both are good choices but i will suggest Laurelai as she will need more practice. Vigelos largely centers around teamwork, positioning and the "basics". I believe ones performance with Vigelos is very based on the depth of their understanding about the game as a whole.
    As for fighters, Lebmont is a fairly safe pick, so i recommend him. Lu can be combo dependent.
    Most players favor fighters and therefore u will see many ppl picking fighters. A full fighter team is not always the best and that is why i recommend u make sure u have ur team covered on the mage class or any other class.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    pandagamer19876 likes this.
  3. 33heatwave45

33heatwave45 Active Member

For the current player base, learning to play mages well is probably the best thing to do at the moment, since most teams are already very physical-damage heavy. Vigelos is a really good hero because you will have to learn the basics, like Zhue said above, which will help you with all the heroes. A lot of people like Melina as well, and Harpy and Kurzdor are also good, especially because you can add in some AoE with either of them.

If you do go for a fighter, Lebmont is probably the best pick for a new player

I definitely recommend learning to play the tank role, if you can stand it. Lots of teams underestimate the tank role in quick matches. You won't be getting all the kills (unless your team is horrible), but you will be able to set up the team fights in your favor and help secure lots of kills. Plus, some of the tanks double really well as a mage or a fighter, if the full tank role is not needed. I would really suggest learning Donovac or Jombraa (higher learning curve on Jombraa); both fill the tank roles nicely while also dealing a fair amount of damage

4. pandagamer19876

pandagamer19876 Member

Thank you. That's very helpful. I just wanted to ask another concern of mine, which is the "Talents". How should I manage that? Should I distribute equally to Fighter and Mage talents?? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. pandagamer19876

pandagamer19876 Member

Interesting, thank you! :) I should definitely look into that!

6. 33heatwave45

33heatwave45 Active Member

Do you mean tablets or talents? With the tablets, you will generally want to tailor them to specific heroes as much as possible, although a number of them work well for all heroes. I would suggest getting the Protective tablet first (provides a shield when you get to low HP, saves you from death by fireball many times), and Soul Eating is also a good one that works for many heroes.

With the talents, you should try and spec to a specific class as much as possible. Check out the Ultimate Talent Optimization from HOCMasters; I don't know if it is completely up-to-date, but it is still very helpful if you are new to picking talents. Remember that when you are picking talents in game, there are tabs along the top that can allow you several different talent builds to switch between depending on your hero. You should at least open up the second one, and then you can have two different builds depending on which types of heroes you are playing the most.

7. pandagamer19876

pandagamer19876 Member

Yes, I meant Talents! :) But thank you for addressing both Tablets and Talents. I really like this game and try to learn how to be better with it. :)