Pierce Def, Critical Damage, Critical Rate. What do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by ThinIce, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find what chaos inscription I'd like to use, as I have not invested much other than silvers.

Pierce is my first choice, but I want to see if criticals work, even if I have space for only 4 chaos inscriptions (desire, Desecration, Soul Eating altogether have only 4 total spaces).

Critical chance doesn't seem to have a high chance unless stacking like 8 of them, so I'm looking towards damage if I decide this route. Currently I use harvest.

What do you guys use?

2. amoxicilIin

amoxicilIin Well-Known Member

Well the first thing to look at is the cost efficiency of the actual bonuses ingame. Things like physical/magical defence inscriptions are low efficiency as they give very little stats for what you could buy ingame. Inscription like critical damage, and cooldown reduction are high efficient inscriptions due to their scarce items and accessibility.

For example : King Killer
    price 4500, passive give additional 25% bonus critical damage.
    25% = 25
    4500/25 = 180
    1% critical damage = 180 gold value

Now with gold inscription give 2.5% critical bonus damage per, with 4 slot you are earning about 1000 gold in damage value.

Now if you were to compare the defence inscriptions that only give 1 physical defence per inscription, 1 physical defence is valued around 25 gold, therefore you will be getting 100 gold in value, a 900 gold difference.

Hope this is helpful for deciding other inscriptions.

JukedBox likes this.
  3. Jacke0

Jacke0 I love Akise

I use critcal damage , there no items in-match that provides cirtcal damage except kk which u only get late game cuz it is pretty much cost alot of gold
    Critical chance is pretty uslesss 3-5% critcal chance ? Really ?
    I don't use harvest , I feel enough with those from talents
    Critical damage inscriptions + KK + critical damage talent = each critical hit = 2 hits instead of 1& half.
    Pretty much the most useful imo

Troja42 and meteorologist like this.
  4. Baconhero

Baconhero Active Member

According to Levesqmi:
    . If your Crit Rate is less than or equal 15%, Crit Damage and Crit Rate provide the same bonus DPS
    . If your Crit Rate is greater than 15%, Crit Damage provides more bonus DPS

So if you prefer using Crit Talent or/and Crit Items such as KK and Cutlass, it's more efficient to use Crit Damage

rootz likes this.
  5. ThinIce

What I noticed actually is that pierce is order inscriptions, meaning that I can pair this with crit chance/damage. That being said, do you prefer max hp or pierce?

I have a tanky build that can utilize hp quite well, but 12 gold pierce inscriptions could really do some extra early game damage.

6. Swedishviking

Swedishviking Well-Known Member Staff Member

I actually prefer physical attack over pierce physical, not that i have tried pierce but attack Works for me

7. ThinIce

Well, pierce works as a percentage and +physical attack quickly declines as the game progresses.

meteorologist likes this.
  8. JukedBox

JukedBox Active Member

Depends if you can snowball hard enough. Phys attack can be a good option.

9. amoxicilIin

amoxicilIin Well-Known Member

Pierce inscriptions work as the flat pierce amount, items like jade axe and longbow of the shadows/silver spear do percentage pierce.

10. ThinIce

What I mean is that the defense formula makes it do that each point of pierce has a higher influence in damage. The denominator is 100.

TheDarkSoul117 likes this.
  11. Jewcey

Jewcey New Member

Id like to know as well who prefers pierce or hp

12. meteorologist

meteorologist Well-Known Member

Pierce

Jacke0 likes this.
  13. The Holy Lollipop

The Holy Lollipop Well-Known Member

Pierce for fighters, and bruisers, hp for tanks.
    Oh wait there's no tank in HOC, lets go with pierce for all then.

saints_way likes this.
  14. takemedown101

takemedown101 Active Member

Pierce and crit dmg :angelic:

15. Troja42

Troja42 Active Member

You should know that pierce is a order inscription and the two others are Chaos! So the question is if crit dmg or crit rate.
    Well I'd say crit dmg is faar better, because one single inscription gives nearly 2 % more, what's really good. Jacke has already stated that you can easily increases your crit rate by buying certain items. you can't do the same with the crit dmg!

16. Fistmagic

Fistmagic Active Member

The reason I like crit rate over damage is early and mid game when one crit can be the deciding factor in a fight. I'll take the crit chance instead of nothing for the part of the game that actually matters.

For pierce vs hp I have both. Hp/harvest for tanks and pierce/crit for dps. However, since I only play fun mode and don't believe in going full tank for fun mode, I never use my gold tank inscriptions. That's a lot of emblems to never use.

17. Simon95

Simon95 Member

This is a bit too easy buddy. You can't calculate it like that.
    1. the passive is not the only thing the king killer offers, you did not include the physical smage and crit rate (i know thats because you do not care about it here, but if we're talking about costs, it still matters, because obviously, you get a wayyy higher price for crit dmg, which to me doesn't really tell us anything about the VALUE)
    2. in the end it is not about the gold cost. Example: say, we want to compare hp regeneration and defence. The result: higher cost for hp regen than for defence, but in fact, defence is what you go for and not hp regen. What you really wanna know is what impacts your gameplay in a better way.
    3. it depends, as it often does.
    As a tank you preferably go for defence, no matter the 'cost' cuz crit dmg doesnt help you a bullcrap.

However, i agree that crit dmg is the most valuable inscription for a fighter, along with pierce order inscriptions.

For mages, i use CD and pierce.

18. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Anybody use hp instead pierce/attack dmg on carry? I use piercing and +crit dmg, but I was thinking one golden 13hp resist 8-9 times one golden 1.X piercing/attack :/

19. meteorologist

meteorologist Well-Known Member

That's not wise imo. Piercing deals with percentages of damage which in later stages of the game are more meaningful than a flat 13hp

Hector likes this.
  20. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

EDIT: When i see golden pierce inscripctions say 1.42 POINTS, NOT "%"

Also in pierce stats I see: x%+ y. X grow with the orane arch, and y grow with inscriptions... So, i think inscription isnt percentage value.

-------------

Then hp is better in early and mid game if we do a superficial comparation?

I dont want to enter in maths, only taking a reference

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015