[Restored] SpiderBites Guide to writing fan fics

Discussion in 'Fan-Fiction' started by Nightshadexx, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Nightshadexx

Nightshadexx Active Member

Smek's guide to making fanfics
    Hello there,do you have a story that you want to write,and you don't know that much about english or think that it wouldn't come out so great?Then this is for you,just follow the 10 steps to a successful fanfiction.

1.Characters
    Choose the heroes that you want to use, maybe even a collision of two worlds of heroes! Be sure to consider the personality and backstory of each character to make things more interesting. Depending on the length of the story you may want include multiple heroes to avoid having your readers get tired of the same character.

2.Storyline
    No good fan-fiction could exist without a storyline. The great thing about fan-fiction is, you can completely change what really happens; it does not have to follow what Gameloft has created as a story. Think about what must have happened in a battle scene. The best thing to do is get a piece of paper and write down your ideas. After you've listed as many possible ideas as you can, chose the ones that you think would make your fan-fiction story as interesting as possible without going overboard.

3.Compose
    This is very important in creating a good fan-fiction story. The opening is what draws the reader into the story. If your opening is not dull, people will want to continue reading your story. A good opening will get the readers attention and make them want to read more. One good example is to start your story off with an exciting event that will set the plot for the rest of the story. Another good example is the introduction of a new hero. Just be creative and you'll come up with something great eventually.

4.Spice
    Add a new element to your story that makes it unique and interesting. Nobody wants to read something that isn't special or exciting. Adding something unique to your story will make it stand out and be more memorable.One thing you might do is create a brand new hero to add to your story to mix things up a bit. Be descriptive about your new hero's appearance, skills, and personality. This will make it easier for readers to imagine your character. (It's also good practice in how to create a good character for your original, non-fan-fiction writing.) If you don't want to add a new hero there are many other options for making your story unique. You can set your story a few years before or after the original plot. You could also try a new setting, or reversing the roles of the characters. Consider using cliffhangers at the end of your chapters to get readers to want more.

5.Details
    Every once in a while, go back and reread what you have written or typed so far. If there is anything that could have more details, add them! Instead of "It was sunny outside." you could add more details and have something like, "The bright afternoon sun shined brightly upon the village." Not only is this more interesting, but it gives readers a better idea of how you were imagining things as you wrote the story. It may be annoying,but it's worth it.

6.Twists
    Don't let one thing drag on and on. Add new conflicts or challenges. This will keep you story fresh and exciting, and will open doors for new ideas. But be sure not to move too quickly, or things may become too confusing. Move at a steady pace and things will flow smoothly. Many fan-fictions you might find here have very slow paced or non progressing plots, and that can become very boring, so be sure to keep things fresh and exciting. Be sure to plan ahead, maybe two to three chapters ahead for great and unexpected twists.

7.Concluding
    Once you've progressed the story as far as you want, end the fan-fiction adventure with a memorable conclusion. Something cliche like "It was all a dream." or "They all lived happily ever after." is a definite no-no. A good conclusion is almost as important as a good opening. Some writers actually think up the ending and write it first and then go back. Unless you are planning a sequel, don't leave the readers hanging. If you aren't planning a sequel, be sure to tie up any loose ends.

8.Re-read
    Check for spelling and grammar errors as you go along. If there is anything you think needs to be added, removed, or changed, go ahead and do so. Make sure everything makes sense and if anything doesn't, do what you can to fix it. Try to see your story from a readers perspective. They don't know everything you imagined in your mind while writing this. Any changes you made to the plot needs to be explained

9.Post
    You've worked hard on your fan-fiction, don't let it go unnoticed!Thats all I have to say.

10.Take constructive criticism
    It will help you when you write your sequel to your first fanfic. You can learn a lot from what other people have to say, and I promise it will help you a lot.
    Thats it!I made this because this section always has no one in it and I would like to see more great fan-fics from all you guys
    Thanks for viewing,anything that I haven't mentioned please tell me and remember,take care everybody

Updated by DragonFire92x 2016-01-17

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  2. xXspiderbiteXx

xXspiderbiteXx Member

Just wanna say thank you Nightshade :)

3. Nightshadexx

Oh no problem :)

Jacke0 likes this.
  4. Elitechicken

Elitechicken Member

Pro tip: Write your story in your native language, then translate it into English with a dictionary by your side. It will enable your full vocabulary and keep the idea right on track!

5. woodlord4707

woodlord4707 Active Member

Ok. I see why my fanfictions have only 35 and 79 views. My storylines are usually their pasts(like my Lebmont fanfic, it showed that he was lonely until he grew up).

Thanks Nightshade for the guide...

6. Nightshadexx

Oh don't thank me

Thank SpiderBite.

If you read above, I did not create this guide, I simply brought it back after it was deleted by a hacker

7. jedt1221

jedt1221 Member

Thanks man im opting to be a new freshman at writing these stories. this helped me a lot.

8. woodlord4707

woodlord4707 Active Member

Cool. :)