Smoke diadem

Discussion in 'General Guides' started by Jaye, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Jaye

Jaye Member

Smoke diadem is an item based to help you again magical users, for it grants you immunity to one skill every 40 seconds. But people don't realize how useful it is. Know that smoke is extremely effective against heroes that mainly initiate on one skill and I noticed that every time there was a archimtiros killing everyone in the game, everyone was too stubborn to buy this item to avoid horses rush and honestly it's annoying me.
    Other than horse, smoke diadem can protect you from the following heroes
    Anioah
    Reason: with immunity to her first skill, she won't be able to pull her usual combo and use her second skill to teleport behind you, thus also keeping out of range from her Ult.

Vigelos
    Reason: with only 2 damaging skills, you can only be hit with one skill which can be extremely useful against a fed Vigelos

Melina: The usual Melina always starts with her 3rd skill to initiate thus saving you from that freeze stun

Equellia
    Reason: you can avoid her hurricane chains thus allowing you to not be slowed and you can easily keep up with her.

Laurelai
    Reason: Every, and I repeat every Laurelai player will most likely start off with her second skill to blind you, but that won't be a problem cuz with smoke, she can't blind you thus making it much easier to dodge her attacks

Valox
    Reason: Valox's taunt is rediciously powerful being a built in dragon buff, use smoke to avoid his taunt and make him rethink about how to engage you

Qiu:
    Reason: pretty much the same reason as horse in being immune to her Ult if your from a distance

I'm pretty sure there's more heroes that can be noted, but I hope you now see the use of smoke diadem and start using it to make your opposing team rethink their strategy

meteorologist likes this.
  2. Sadowmancer

Sadowmancer ✿мyтнicαl biтcн✿ Staff Member

Well people probably don't buy it because

1. There are heroes with more single target skills meaning they can use the weaker skill and damage you with the greater skill.

& 2. Valkyrian robe can help against mages better than smoke Because of Is active. If you want to stop a Qiu from charging you or a horse wait outside the battle until you have visual confrontation of them then go in. It's not being stubborn but think what you want.

3. Jaye

Jaye Member

That's a valid point but 50% of the time they don't do that. And if horse is the carry and he has a successful charge regardless if you have valkrian robes or not, he will inspire his team mates to jump in too. And most of those single target skills you mentioned before are more likely than not short range or wont be as effective if not used before your main initiator. I'm trying to say that it makes the opposing team re think about how to initiate, it's also very effective if your the biggest threat in the game, making you harder to kill and approach seeing that everyone will focus on you. It's better to be hit with 4 skills rather than a full 5

4. Mixar

Mixar Well-Known Member

Lebmont too, no? Anyways:
    That's going against your point. Which is my point. Its so great against Archi, true, but Archi's usually inspire the entire team. If they go in, the other members likely to show up are your real problem. And even if most players don't waste a skill to ruin the Diadem they still know if it was cancelled or not. You can't underestimate the human mind. They'll know to back off if they, playing as Laurelai, blind you but you continue to hit them.

5. Zhue

Zhue Member

Smoke Diadem passive effect is at a 30 sec cooldown now.
    Reasons why people dont buy it.
    1.Illiteracy. Either do not even know the item exists or never read further of its effects.
    2. Inexperience. Dont know how to capitalize on the situation after the opponent just busted a major skill. In one of my experience, an ally got smoke diadem. Out of nowhere an enemy elf blinked out of invisibility and missed her crystal arrow. But instead of retaliating, he just retreated to his tower, taking damage from her arrow flurry and 2 normal attacks while giving none back despite elf busting 3 major skills.
    3. Disregard. Many hoc players genuinely do not care of how badly they perform. There is no goal except to possibly have as much kills.
    4. Fear of wastage. Apart frm passive effect, diadem stats are not that fantastic while taking up a place of what could have been more beneficial. Becomes totally wasted shuld enemy is a physical carry.
    5. More than 1 target to choose from. If they cant get you, they will get ur teammates instead. If all of you buy diadem, thats 3-5 slots wasted especially if they have an adc.
    6. Experience. Probably fall for it the first time but experienced players know how to burn its effect first before really commiting to the fight. Inversely, having good warding & better understanding of how to play better means players have a sturdy footing of how handle a situation without the use of diadem at all.
    Diadem sure does have its uses, but it doesnt fit in to most builds or play style as well as items like divine favor or valk robes.

meteorologist and Evil_Rage like this.
  6. Entropy

Entropy Well-Known Member

That is a very good explain why you didnt see much player buying it at high rank. For those crucial CC Gaia blind and volox taunt, you should get the pedant instead of diam smoke, which is not only helping you but your whole team.

meteorologist and Evil_Rage like this.
  7. Riley12301

Riley12301 Gambler :D Staff Member

Me right here during some games^

8. dandik

dandik Active Member

smoke is not bad and useful against horse and Qiu. More to horse because of the mg defense. But on the other hand, it can be easily countered by triggering it with minor skills first ( of other teammates) . Still, it's fun when a nuub horse or kotun or qiu doesn' t see the smoke and waists his ult over again and again :)

Sean likes this.
  9. Zhue

Zhue Member

I have never truly decided if id like to laugh at how well this little trick works or vomit at how brain dead players pick click-to-win heroes and progress no further.

10. Vyz ^-^

Vyz ^-^ The Missing Link

Diadem just need lower cd in passive like 13 sec just like linkens sphere.

11. Entropy

I think that will be too much, which make lots of single target skill hero become potato.

12. Vyz ^-^

Vyz ^-^ The Missing Link

Lol I know.

13. Average Player

Average Player Da Sassy Owls

What if smoke negated equillas ult would that stop her chanelling?

14. Entropy

It wont happen, it only trigger for skill that need to select the target before use.

15. Average Player

Average Player Da Sassy Owls

16. angusss85

angusss85 Member

Smoke Diadem is not bad per se, it is situational though. Most of the times it can be replaced by more useful items that grant you a better defense against the whole enemy team.

17. Evil_Rage

Evil_Rage Youtuber

These 2 are 100% correct, kudos to both of you :D