ThinIce's (Jodee_blanco) Guide to Fun [Fury] Mode

Discussion in 'General Guides' started by ThinIce, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

Since many people have shown their stupidity in this mode, I will make a guide on how you should approach it.

- I. Introduction: -

Fun Mode (officially called Fury Mode) is a type of game mode played on the 3 vs 3 map where several mechanics of the game are altered for the purpose of an enjoyable and ludicrous style gameplay. These mechanics include 0 mana usage, low, spammable cooldown skills, faster attack, reduced crowd control and heals, etc.

This mode requires 10 energy to play. 1 energy will take 6 minutes to regenerate, meaning every hour that passes in and out of the game allows you to play the mode again. Rerolling a hero also takes 10 energy.

Any person level 5 or higher can play fun mode.

- Why is Fun Mode good to play? -

While this teaches you nothing of real gameplay, this mode has its advantage of quicker paced games that reward full credit and event points afterwards. This makes gold tickets and emblems very easy to farm if you are skilled enough to win quickly.

- What are the disadvantages to Fun Mode? -

As stated above, fun mode teaches you nothing of actual gameplay. It is also reliant on luck, which means getting a garbage hero such as Kortav will make winning more difficult or impossible depending on who you are facing. Also, with the high stupidity within the population, you are at risk with a team that cannot do anything, hence the need of a guide like this.

Let's get to it.

- II. Item building and playstyle mechanics -

At the start of the match, you are given 3,500 gold to spend on items. This may throw you off since this gives you a plethora of more options for strategies than what the standard 1,000 gold build. However, since people are only at level 3 at the start, hero base stats are much lower than when you would normally earn 3,500 in a regular game. To put it more simply, you can die much faster.

To compensate this, you have several options.

● Building Bulk Damage to kill the opponent before you do
    ● Building HP and Tanky to sustain high damage
    ● A bit of both

To make it more simple, end item bonuses like what Zealots Armor provides is not what's necessary at the beginning. What's necessary are just the core stats (hp, defense, damage). Items like Enchanters Ring, Dragon Cloak, Raven Mail and its magic defense counterpart, and Iron Claymore are core items you should always consider purchasing at the start. End item bonuses will benefit you later on.

Please note that information above is for starting builds. End game builds should follow what a normal end game build looks like on the specific class or hero. If you need information on how to build an end game hero, please ask the forums.

I will go into detail as to when you should do what. Depending on the hero you get and the playstyle you have, you may have to adjust.

- Ranged Fighters (elf, Aria, Lebmont [...]) -

Ranged fighters are fantastic for fun mode. High attack speed, spammable skills, and their range make them favorable in doing damage without having to take damage themselves. However, in an instance that you take damage, you have very little hp to compensate for it.

Build: HP and Brute damage early (Dragon Cloak and Claymore are good to start with).
    As you progress, focus on damage, utility (pierce, criticals, attack speed, etc.), & hp/defense if you need it.

- Melee Fighters (Debronee, Savaer, Chameleon, etc.) -

Melee Fighters have high trade offs with Fun Mode and require more caution and skill to play. They can easily snowball into a dangerous hero, but often require skill on the user or the assistance of his or her teammates in order to do so. They cannot approach the enemies on their own or they will easily get killed before doing any significant harm.

Build: melee fighters should mix hp and damage to allow a good balance of survivability and attack. As you progress with farm and some kills, mix in more damage with some utility (such as pierce, attack speed, criticals) and maybe defense if you need it.

- Ranged mages/supports (goroshia, guervus, acridix, ant, khlint, etc) -

[When I say ranged mages, I mean mages whose skillset and playstyle can be utilized effectively from a distance].

Ranged mages are among the best classes for fun mode. Low cooldown, no mana, ranged skills, high burst, and utility are reasons why mages can dominate the battlefield. They require a fair amount of reflexes and fast thinking for the individual, but any veteran mage user can easily work with that. Beginners may struggle with getting into the habit of using their hero skills constantly.

Build: ranged mages should focus on building burst damage early on. Their skills are very high in scaling with magic damage and can be very effective in the early game stages of fun mode when player stats are still low at ~level 3. As the game progresses, mages should finish their builds with damage, utility (pierce magic defense mainly), defense if needed, HP if needed. Remember that mana and cooldown aren't needed.

- Close-Ranged Mages (Cow, Horse, Sia, Harpie, etc.)

Close ranged mages have a balance between tankiness and damage, depending on the hero you get. For example, Sia is more a tank since her skill involves stunning and slowing while Horse involves more initiation and damage. Keep this in mind when you build your heroes. They are average in Fun Mode and may often have difficulties if you do not have a strong team to follow through.

Build: As mentioned, building a bit of damage, HP, and defense is good. Being familiar with the hero you play with is important, as you can adjust your build to this. Finish the game with either a couple defense items and more damage or couple damage items and more tanky. If you do not know how to play any of these heroes, as they typically have a higher curve, reroll your hero type.

- full tanks (12B, Cyclops, Donovac*, Jombraa, etc.) -

Full tanks are some of the best heroes for fun mode. Naturally, they have higher crowd control, shielding, and defensive abilities. This makes them almost as equal to mages when it comes to supportive abilities. The only downside to them is their subpar potential for carrying a game, which can ultimately be a downfall if you have dumbass teammates. However, you are still a threat regardless. I highly recommend learning tanks in normal games before trying them out in fun mode, just so you'll know how to handle them in the heat of battle.

Build: HP, Defense, and a bit of damage early game should get you going. The damage is basic for farming and for slightly more threatening moves against your opponents, while HP and defense combines well with your already tanky skills and base stats. Finish off with 1-3 damage items, and 2-4 defense and HP items.

- Bruisers (Kotun, Paladin, Fish, RtQ, Helmm*)

*like Donovac, Helmm can suit a bruiser class. However, these heroes can still do plenty of damage even with majority of tank items on their belt. That said, build as a tank while playing as a bruiser is what you should do with these heroes.

Bruisers are like melee fighters, except they have tankiness combined with damage. They take a bit more skill to use, but often have higher payouts than melee fighters since they don't die as easily and can still keep up with end game damage. Their downside is their more burst style damage in comparison to attack speed auto attack style fighting like fighters, giving them a slightly more difficult time in pushing towers and other objectives. They make up for fantastic antipersonal even in the early game stages.

Build: Bruisers should start with damage combined with hp or defense. Heroes like Fish can spam his water bubble skill without getting too close, so pure burst damage earlier on works fantastic on him. Paladin and Kotun, however, deal damage close up and rely a lot on hp for shielding. Hp and damage work good for them. Finish off with 4-5 damage, 1-2 defense. Get familiar with bruisers and their skills for efficient building.

-- Information on supplementary items: --

Hermetist Cape: Hermetist cape is a full tank item that can work on several bruisers such as Dailiana, RtQ, Helmm, Horse, and Savaer. That being said, it is a terrible item to start with, but isn't a bad item to build sometime later on. Do NOT build the ingredients at the beginning. You will have minimal defense and minimal hp to keep yourself alive, and the hermetist damage does not compare the cheaper full damage options available, Claymore and Enchanters Ring for example. Later on when auto attack is less beneficial, having hermetist will be helpful to provide damage while supporting teammates.

Boots: you may have noticed I have not mentioned boots in this guide. Boots are useful for a couple purposes, but the should be finished more middle to end game since their attributes are not needed early on. Build boots on heroes who need chasing and escaping as an option. Do not build a full set of boots at the beginning of the game. You will be a useless noob and provide no useful stats for yourself or your team.

III. When should and should I not play fun mode?

By knowing if you are competent enough, you'll do yourself and your teammates a favor.

● play fun mode if you are comfortable with build several hero class types. For example, maybe you are comfortable with building Mage carries, fighter carries, and maybe tanks. That covers a broad spectrum of heroes, and may ease into the difficulty of playing a new hero since you can still play and build them properly.

● play fun mode with many talents and tablets. This mode is random with hero choice, so be flexible. You won't always get the hero you want, so be prepared to orient yourself with the proper preliminary builds before joining and playing a game.

● do not play fun mode if you can only use a small handful of heroes. It pisses me off when people join a fun mode, reroll a hero, and leave if they don't get the hero they want. There's no point in wasting our damn time if you have only 1/15 chance in getting the one hero you know how to use. Play randoms, learn new heroes, and then utilize them in fun mode.

● do not play fun mode if you are an absolute beginner. It really makes no sense to play fun mode if you don't know the actual mechanics of a normal game. This will screw you up pretty badly so don't do it. I recommend doing fun mode level 20 onwards, but try it out if your curiosity can overcome your skill (or lack thereof).

This covers most of it. I will add more detail to the guide if necessary.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. rivercrow19

rivercrow19 Anti-mod

why try and set up a meta to a game mode made to have some fun? yes idiots can be annoying but why not join them in that mode ;p if thats something u dont want to do well i suggest u simply dont play it

Leo798(7) likes this.
  3. Noir

Noir Active Member

Well, I can understand his certain standpoint from him in such a regard, considering the horrid playerbase means that day-to-day standard games aren't fun to play with at all.

Customs and fun mode give you a much better chance to do things by your own even if you're somehow weakened by shitty teammates. I may be wrong on ThinIce's mentality, but his efforts in making this are pretty damn commendable. Kudos ThinIce.

ThinIce likes this.
  4. rivercrow19

rivercrow19 Anti-mod

what i dont understand is that he knows full well that even if he makes the perfect guide to playing hoc only the players on the forum and their guilds/friends will be able to make use of it so this wouldnt make any difference to the masses
    not to mention its clearly stated in his post that fun/fury mode is made to be wacky and a relatively good time and the thing is meta can be stressful to alot of players

5. Noir

Noir Active Member

I mean, it's better than nothing. Having a small source of an educative guide is better than leaving things this hard-pressed and unchanged. I personally have guides hidden in my Word as well, but I have no intention of posting them until Levesqmi fulfills the small hope he's given about a HOCFire due to this terrible, terrible forum formatting.

Again, a guide's a guide; it's better than not having one. You're entitled to think what you want of it though.

ThinIce likes this.
  6. WhiteC

WhiteC Active Member

I personally think taking fun mode serious takes the fun out of it.

realturkey likes this.
  7. OP Battle Mage

OP Battle Mage I am a hore

Tell that to the people who rage at it and start name calling when they are losing.

8. OP Battle Mage

OP Battle Mage I am a hore

I don't like the dragon cloak and claymore build because it is missing defense and speed.
    I like going with 2 blood pouch 1 ruby ring/Face Breaker and 1 armour that gives 50 magical/physical defense (your choice) and boots of haste if you have enough gold.

9. The Holy Lollipop

The Holy Lollipop Well-Known Member

That's why its also called Fury Mode.

10. WhiteC

WhiteC Active Member

"I personally think"

We normal people call this an opinion, as most people know it as fun mode and call it fun mode, this has shaped my opinion.

Sorry, my opinion still stands.

I agree, but then again the internet is full of raging children nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
    realturkey likes this.
  11. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

I play fun mode mainly cause it's the fastest way to get emblems for inscriptions, as I stated on the guide. If I see people playing like morons, then yes, I don't find it fun. To me, fun is when both teams are fairly matched well and gameplay isn't me carrying 2 other people. If you find this fun whether you're winning or losing, then who's to stop you? Maybe some people want to win more if they're beginners cause that equates to more emblems for more heroes and tablets. It's a fantastic way to farm, so at least one should play it correctly.

I have alternative builds with squires and boots involved, but I have not added them in at this time. For starters, Dragon and Claymore work fine.